Wednesday 20 May 2009

BC2006 - work experience - Talking Issues





I volunteered to go for work experience at Talking Issues in Bath and I'm glad that I did !

Talking Issues produce Audio Books and Magazines at their headquarters in Bath and given my interest and background in audio editing and recording studios the opportunity was too good to pass up.

The company has a production office, 3 voice studios and an editing suite an is a very vibrant, friendly and busy place to work. The Company was started by Jennifer Howard who was previously at BBC Audiobooks and they have quickly grown into a major player in the Audiobook market, as well as being the first company to produce a full word-by-word audio version of a major magazine title.



I spent my first day shadowing the process of producing the weekly audio version of 'the Economist' magazine, from casting and producing copy, working with the producers in the studio, shadowing the editors and then finally proofing the finshed articles.
The workload on the day is high and the place buzzes with people - all working together to turn around recording, editing and proofing a whole magazine in one day. This is quite a feat of scheduling and the production team have to work hard all day to make sure that everything is done quickly, professionally and most importantly accurately.

This really opened my eyes to the way people co-work in the media and is a great example of team work in a production environment.

Talking Issues were impressed with my attitude and contribution and I have been working for them as a freelance proofer & editor since march.

No comments: